Watermelon Sugar Baby
- Features: Sugar baby watermelon is a great choice for gardeners, this sweet, fine textured fruit has red flesh and a dark green skin. This early season sugar baby watermelon is about 20cm (8") in diameter.
- Maturity: 73 days / 2.7-5.4kg (6-12 lbs.) in weight.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Dig lots of organic matter into the soil. Watermelons grow well in a light, sandy fertile loam. The soil should be well drained yet able to retain moisture. A near neutral pH is best. Water as needed.
- Spacing: Space plants 1.2-2m (4-6') apart.
- Height: Vine length varies.
- Garden use: In vegetable garden or raised beds.
- Growing tips: Watermelons need good air circulation. Use a gentle, south facing slope, if possible, without shade. Fertilize with a liquid fertilizer every three weeks. When the plants are in full bloom, you can expect the watermelons to be ready for picking thirty five days later.
- Culinary use: They make great garden snacks and appetizers. Eat fresh and in salads.