Basil Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 3 ripe tomatoes from your garden, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 3 fresh basil leaves chopped finely
- 1 cup milk
In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes until onion is transparent. Add flour, stirring constantly for 1 minute over medium heat. Pour in stock and heat until boiling, stirring well. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and basil leaves. Allow soup to come back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Take soup and place in a blender or food processor. Puree until broth is smooth and return to saucepan. Add milk and heat soup - do not boil.
Serve soup in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a basil leaf or flower in the center.
Garnish: sour cream, basil leaves or flowers