Basil Red Rubin
- Features: Prized for its dark red, leafy stems and pretty pink blooms. This great herb basil has a stronger, spicier flavour than sweet basil and reddish-purple leaves, creating a unique look in salads.
- Light: Full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained, rich soil. Water as needed all season to keep soil evenly moist, keeping your eye out for the first sign of wilt. Wilting is a sure sign that your basil needs water.
- Spacing: Space 45cm (18") apart.
- Height: Grows 60-75cm (24-30") in height.
- Growing tips: Feed with a vegetable fertilizer to ensure your bountiful harvest. To dry, wait until the flowers begin to open, then cut clusters off and hang them upside down turning periodically until dry.
- Garden use: Containers, borders, herb and flower beds.
- Culinary use: The flavour of this variety of basil is quite intense, use it sparingly in salads and do not choose this particular variety when a large quantity of basil is needed, such as for making pesto. It is perfect to add to a salad for a splash of colour and a burst of flavour. Use dried or fresh.