Garden Mum - please refer to plant caretag for specific variety information
Colours - White, red, yellow, bronze and lavender.
Flowering period - Fall season.
Features - A very popular garden flower producing a showy floral display in autumn.
Spacing - Plant 15" to 18" apart (23 to 45 cm)
Height - Grows 9" to 36" tall (23 - 90 cm)
Soil and water - Thrives best in light soil containing adequate lime. Water as needed.
Light requirements - Plant in full sun.
Best use - Use in beds, containers or for edging.
Growing tips - Excellent for cut flowers. Bears many flowers and is considered a low maintenance flower. Garden mums produce underground stolens and can survive cold quite well. Most garden mums are perennials in zones 5 to 9 and much tougher than florist types. Some cultivars are less hardy than others and can be killed by an early spring frost.
Planning your garden
For beginners it is important to draw a garden layout plan
• Choose plants suitable for the site (sun vs. shade, soil, etc)
• Arrange plants according to their height
• Arrange according to plant form and texture
• Arrange according to flowering periods for constant blooming
• Arrange in groupings by type and color considerations
Select an autumn flower
Click on a flower from the list below to see a photo and find lots of growing and plant care tips.